Parents of the HS Class of 2026 (Part 2)

Agree about this. We’ve had lengthy discussions about this since he’s on several medications that mean additional risks and possibly severe complications. Fortunately, he’s not prone to party culture at all. I still worry!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. This is serious stuff. And in addition, hazing is scary also. A colleague of mine lost her son (a freshman in his first few weeks at college) due to hazing in the greek system. She has recently created this site in collaboration with a couple universities: https://www.hazinginfo.org/

9 Likes

I am not sure what you mean by “better on paper”? Davis is a great school, but UBC is one of the top schools in Canada and highly ranked internationally. She was feeling intimidated by the intensity of the UBC curriculum, worried about costs, and worried about unknowns (will she feel lost and lonely, will she get into the orchestra, will she find her people?) But she is MUCH happier today, now that she has recovered her feelings of excitement and the desire to step out of her comfort zone. This past week has been an emotionally grueling process but I’m glad she was able to work her way through it!

10 Likes

Whoa, plot twist!!!

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t mean a slight toward the school at all – I meant “better” meaning fewer unknowns because it’s a UC, lower costs, more flexibility in curriculum, etc. Possibly the “safer” choice.

I’m so happy for her that she’s excited! Clearly it needed to come down to the wire for her to decide what she really wanted. :blush:

I have thought a million times in the last few hours how to explain this and I’ve written and rewritten this several times already. And I can’t figure out how to explain it. But…

We learned 15 hours ago that our eldest child, D26’s big sister (who’s 2 yr older than D26) took her own life in her dorm room at college. She did not have a roommate after Thanksgiving of fall semester, due to her roommate withdrawing and moving back home to attend a different college online.

To say that this is every parent’s worst nightmare is putting it mildly. D24’s college has been amazingly supportive so far. My husband is there now. Neither of have slept in the past 24 hr. Husband’s best friend met him at the airport and flew there from the buddy’s home state. I’m home w/D26. My sister is here. Honorary aunt & uncle are driving to our house today.

For privacy reasons, I won’t go into specifics but am willing to share in a PM. Police suspect no foul play. Standard protocols are being followed for an investigation of this nature. I spoke with the police dept’s detective early this morning. College president is meeting with my husband later today. College has offered to pay on their own dime to pack up and ship all of our daughter’s things to us so we won’t have to go into the room. We are very grateful for that.

We’re now grateful that D26 chose to attend college in state. We are going to once a week family dinners at my sister’s house so we all get plugged in with D26 regularly, so she doesn’t feel alone, doesn’t feel lost, and feels connected.

I would give my right arm right now for my older daughter to still be with us. Please say some prayers for our family.

76 Likes

I don’t even know what to say, but I am so, so deeply sorry to read this. I can imagine you must be in shock. Please PM me if I can do anything for you or support you in any way – even weeks or months from now as you guys grieve and process.

I am just so sorry.

3 Likes

Heartbroken doesn’t even come close to describing how I feel for you and your family. I have sent you a PM.

1 Like

Words are inadequate. Please know that I am sending you and your whole family the most heartfelt wishes for healing and strength. I’m so very very sorry.

1 Like

I send support and strength your way and am heartbroken for you and your family. So so sorry to read ths.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear this devastating news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I am truly devastated to read this. As a fellow class of 2024 parent, I followed your journey with your D24 for years. I am sending you my most sincere condolences and wishes for peace and comfort to you and your family as you navigate this time.

1 Like

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. There truly aren’t words that can touch the depth of what you’re going through, but please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you strength and comfort as you navigate the days ahead.

1 Like

Heartbroken to hear the news! We are extremely sorry for your loss. Prayers to your family from the CC community, @sbinaz! :folded_hands: :folded_hands:

2 Likes

I have no words. So, so sorry and sending you and your family love and strength.

1 Like

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I followed your daughters college journey closely because I was on the 2024 parents thread. There are no words.

1 Like

Oh I am so very sorry for your family’s loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

1 Like

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. There are no words for this kind of pain. My heart aches for you, D26 and your whole family.

1 Like

I can’t beging to fathom what you and your family are going through. You are such a breath of fresh air on this forum. I love your candidness and humor. Saying I’m incredibly sorry just doesn’t seem adequate. Every parent’s worst nightmare indeed. Virtual hugs are being sent to you, your sweet D26 and your H.

1 Like

I am so very sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family.

1 Like