University of South Carolina Early Action Class of 2030 Official Thread

do they inform you by email or she find it ourself from their website?

There was an email to check the portal.

Where on the portal do you see it?

Sorry, I’ve never actually seen her portal so I don’t know.

Usually the acceptance letter at end changes from pre business to business so just check the acceptance letter

My OOS daughter received merit in letter ($100k option) and attends a public high school that does not report class rank. She did submit SAT scores though.

Following

Mine with no answer just yet has slightly lower stats - same major (neuroscience). She has a 34 ACT, 3.83 UW 4.9 Weighted SC GPA. She has placed top 10 in North America and represented the US at worlds multiple times for her sport. She did get the 100k+ scholarship language and an EA acceptance. We’re praying for an honors acceptance next round

She already has an an acceptance + honors + 20k at Pitt

1 Like

Congratulations on your daughter’s accomplishments. I don’t even know what to make of the results people post about these things.

No answer for my daughter yet either. 1540 SAT, 4.0 UW/4.9 W, in-state. 11 DE & 3 honors, global and state seals of biliteracy, incoming bio major with research lab experience, volunteering, charity leadership and 3+ years work experience – plus a killer essay imo.

I don’t know what to make of these results either, but it is for sure a competitive cohort this year. Congrats to those who got in this round! My eldest is having the best experience at SCHC. It’s a great program and a great school.

3 Likes

I don’t think y’all need to worry. The December wave is small compared to the total and your kids have solid applications.

Ever since I first saw it I’ve suspected there’s something off about the GPA range published in the Carolina Elite brochure for TS which is apparently what this wave is about.

The website says the average SCGPA for TS is 5.3, but then elsewhere it says the 75th percentile is 5.4 and the 25th is 4.7. That math just doesn’t add up, especially given the distribution of those scores, and how competitive TS is.

My best guess is the OOS 5.0 and in-state 6.0 GPAs are all thrown together and that’s how they got that middle 50% range.

If so, it’s bad for my daughter’s likely outcome, so I’ve got worries too. SC is her first choice for multiple reasons.

1 Like

So is the general understanding that the honors acceptances that went out yesterday are the pool that Top Scholars will be drawn from? But many more acceptances went out than Top Scholars will? So great to be in that bunch and we’ve cleared a hurdle but there is still a ways to go.

It was always a long shot anyway so we won’t get our hopes up. So much waiting.

After reading through this forum and others, I have come to realize it appears that, through the common app, the number of applications being submitted across a broad geography have increased materially. Okay, this is not really a new revelation to me, either. I have an only-child and I just did not realize the magnitude and the real implications of this though until the process moved to real time. Many articles leading into this admission season about the enrollment cliff based on a fewer number of college applicants resulting from the Great Recession and millennials’ hesitancy to commit to a more traditional “American Dream” (I.e. home purchase, job, children, etc). Lately I have been reading additional articles speaking of the northern migration to southern schools in search of merit (“there’s gold in them there hills!”..or swamps…or whatever). The revelation that has come to me…even though there are fewer applicants, admissions officers are overwhelmed by the fact that all our kids are all applying to the same schools, causing gross inflation of application numbers vs. the number of actual students available. I am thinking there is real opportunity remaining for admission and money as communication continues over the next few months. It is REALLY early in the process. In no way are there that many students achieving the perfection it takes to fill all of these top spots (I.e. Top Scholars) with the stats I am reading. There is just not that much space at the top of the pyramid and the same few students at the top of the pyramid will not continue taking up all the various spots and opportunities across all these schools.

My son accepted similar stats into sports management

1 Like

Does anyone know why the business school ranks so highly for international business compared to its rankings in other areas of business?

Likely b/c it’s ultra competitive and they partner with Top International Business Schools around the world. Honors students are automatically admitted after freahman year but have to have a min GPA of 3.65. Non honors kids that are in the Business school have to apply in April and have a school GPA of 3.65 in order to be eligible to do so. Abiut half that apply get accepted into the program. I’ve also heard they have an exceptional alumni network.

Any more Honors acceptances come out?

They typically just do two waves for Honors, the smaller one right before Christmas and then a larger one around Valentine’s day.

1 Like

Sorry if this was asked, but I can’t find info. USC does not require any additional information like a LOCI for deferred students correct? As far as we can see they only ask for updates on ACT/SAT. Did anyone send a letter?

1 Like

my son sent a LOCI (Deferred, OOS). He added mention of a leadership award he won in Dec too so it was two-fold. It wasn’t required. If he hadn’t had the award he may not have sent. My older son did LOCI moreso fter waitlist decisions in early spring 2024 (I recall Clemson, VaTech and William and Mary in particular).