University of South Carolina Early Action Class of 2030 Official Thread

I’ve got kids in two of the three governor’s schools, if they’d all come out hours ago I’m sure I would have heard something, plus there’s nothing on any of the facebook groups.

Yes I believe you for sure. I saw it in one FB group I am in and then I went looking but you definitely have more information.

I think the reddit kid might have been talking about BARSC/MD invite, my student got that too by email…or maybe it’s just the BARSC/MD kids that got their invites.

It’s real, my son got a Top Scholars interview email this afternoon. Interviews are via Zoom over the next couple of weeks.

4 Likes

Congratulations!!

1 Like

Congratulations to your son! In-state or OOS? If possible, please share stats.

OOS, 1590, 3.99UW, lots of DE

4 Likes

Anyone know when to expect admissions decisions for deferrals?

Based on previous years, it looks like the week of February 16th

1 Like

If you get an email asking for mid-year report, are the chances of getting admission high?

It might depend on what that report says. But you’re certainly in the running.

They don’t usually ask, so maybe a good sign?

Are you regular decision or deferred from early action? They usually don’t ask for mid year grades.

My daughter is Co’28 honors. In fall of 24 they were allowed to choose their rooms. In fall of 25, they were assigned rooms. In 24 they could opt to live elsewhere. in ‘25 they could not.

We had to wait until about a week before May 1 to commit, so mine was dead last for choosing and still got a great room. The honors dorm really is nice. It’s very social, centrally-located, clean, new-ish, and has the dining hall on the first floor plus a little cafe. I hear there isn’t a bad room in the place, and I would believe that. She opted for a single and didn’t feel deprived because her hall was so social and there were always plenty of events to go to. Some of her friends are RAs there now, and honors seems to have amazing RAs. She absolutely loved her first year and I think misses that dorming arrangement. She’s now in an apartment on the Horseshoe, which is nice too – but she loved her first year dorm.

My main point though is that honors students don’t have to fret over housing like the rest. You could wait until the last minute and she would get great housing with zero effort.

2 Likes

Daughter officially made her decision to go be a Gamecock! Still waiting on possible merit, so unsure if we should wait on paying enrollment/housing until after merit is released. Thoughts?

2 Likes

You were given a bucket, right? At a private, I might wonder - would it change if I committed (like they paid less). I wouldn’t worry about it there - especially if they’ve given you the “at least” amount.

Congrats.

Didn’t get the 'least amount’in her letter, but know plenty of people last year who didn’t & them received some. Also a lot of departmental ones to apply to. If she doesn’t get them, we will full pay (thankfully with some grandma help).

1 Like

If she is definitely going, no matter what, I would go ahead and pay and get her housing deposit in. USC has told upperclassmen that housing is tight for this upcoming year. She’ll have more choice the earlier she gets her housing application started.

1 Like

Do you think possible merit would be affected if she enrolls before it came out?

I asked that question at the financial aid webinar last week, and they said enrolling/not enrolling would not affect merit awards.

1 Like