Upcoming changes to the way we log in

I’m in on my iPad with my new password. So- working on Chrome on home computer (didn’t ever log off so not affected by the issues) , not working on Chrome at work despite clearing cache/history, working on iPhone and iPad.

@momofthreeboys you make the third person I know who CC thought was under 13 years old.

So…i cleared my cache, and lost a lot of stuff I really needed…like recent airline searches.

But I know someone who cleared their cache and history on Chrome…and lost their entire online calendar. Any suggestions how to get that back? I think it was an Outlook calendar.

You know…at my old job, we were required to change passwords every 90 days. We received a pop up screen reminding us that included the new password field, and the repeat of the new password. Really…how hard is that to do since many businesses require this of their employees.

And I would really like to know why our emails are being used instead of our screennames. That’s an explanation I really would like to hear.

At leaszt ou can read the email notifications of whats in teh PM!

Still waiting until the word comes from above that everything is fixed before I try to update my password. Still logging in only on the computer that had cc already open.

Crazy stuff thumper. I am not on as much as I was before the redesign so didn’t see the red banner. More advance notice would have really helped. They also could have probably written a snippet to populate those of us oldies that have been here longer than 13 years lol. While frustrating that alone was worth a laugh today with thoughts of having to have signed up for college confidential in utero.

Not hard to do.

But also antiquated and does more harm than good.
https://www.sans.org/security-awareness-training/blog/time-password-expiration-die

@momofthreeboys I know…that was the only levity in all this…that I have kids in their 30’s and this site thought I was under 13. And believe me…I know my birthday. I don’t recall entering my birthday when I signed up back in the Stone Age.

Like MomofWildChild, I can’t get the site to work on Chrome on a PC. My work-around is to use a different browser (Edge), which I find annoying.

I have at least two other friends who can’t get this to work with Chrome

That contains a link to this that says that password quality is better based on length than other types of complexity (more relevant to these forums, which limit password length to 16 characters):
https://www.sans.org/security-awareness-training/blog/nist-has-spoken-death-complexity-long-live-passphrase

I just finally found this information. I could not sign into the forums. Now, Every time I change the page I have to sign back in again. I always use my ipad and when I cleared the cache I, too, lost a lot of searches I was working on. I did not realize everything would disappear. Not a happy camper.

It would have been REALLY nice if the powers that be had told us that passwords might need to be updated to meet the new criterion.

I was not able to get in, much less see the red box message, til just now, when I found out I needed to change my password.

The level of self-destruction on this site is disturbing. Your contractor/venue has not done you any favors – again.

I used to be a communications specialist for a benefits consulting firm and part of my job was to run data edits on the information I received from employers. I had to write documentation that would test every possible parameter (missing birthdates, blank fields, unexpected code in a field, etc., invalid passwords, etc.). I created test groups of people who hit all the potential data errors, and make sure the program covered every possible parameter.

I’m not a programmer and I was able to do this. How is it that the vendor providing programming for this site can’t manage a beta test!?!?!?

I am now able to get on in Chrome on my desktop. Haven’t tried on my Pixel 2 yet.

Apparently whoever was in charge of the dumpster fire update wasn’t sacked, they were promoted.

I will say again, I question whether this is intentional. I for one would be thrilled if CC said they were closing the boards and wouldn’t fight us moving them somewhere more user friendly.

Every single development effort that has occurred on this site since I joined has been startlingly hamfisted. At some point you could blame whoever is being contracted to provide developer services, but after years of repeated mishandling, you have to start blaming the decision-making of those who are hiring the developers.

Wow, I was finally able to log in! What a colossal pain in the @#$!

As many others have already stated, all these "changes’ are perplexing, frustrating and unfortunate. It would be such a shame for this forum to lose any of it’s incredibly informative and helpful posters.

UPDATE: I was informed by the team that most of the issues are resolved by now so hopefully you can log in successfully.

Some comments:

  1. Some users will need to reset the password in order to log in; if you don’t have access to the email that’s tied to your CC account, please reach out
  2. There are some users whose usernames got updated to randomly generated ones; the team is working on updating those back and I’ll inform once that’s done

Please send me an email to sorini@collegeconfidential,com if you still encounter difficulties. We are aware this was a difficult transition so we THANK YOU for your understanding.

@CCadmin_Sorin I stil can’t get in and can’t message you. My real user name is Mom22039

I also clicked the link to request a new password but nothing was sent to my email. That was over 8 hours ago.

Can you try to reset the password now? The team rolled out some fixes so something that didn’t work 8h ago will hopefully work now. Thanks a lot!

Is chrome fixed?

I just signed in on chrome using a very old email address and my current password which I know I had to update in the last couple of year. Luckily, I remembered that old email address since I rebooted my computer so was not logged in. How could someone find the email they used if they weren’t logged in?

The banner should be changed to let users know about this change. Indicating there are problems with login without explaining that you have to use your email, not your user name is not very helpful. Not everyone goes to the CC community forums issue page regularly.