I truly hate logging in anywhere with my email. Why this change? I made it through 7 pages and didn’t see an answer so if there’s one later, my apologies.
Also my password doesn’t have the requirements and still works just fine.
Oh well. Not like I come on here that often anymore anyway.
I can’t think of one reason why anyone needs to remember the email address they used to sign up for this forum…especially if it’s one they no longer use.
We all know our screennames…and there can’t be duplicate of those either.
I would love an answer why emails are now being used instead of screennames.
@romanigypsyeyes if your password doesn’t meet the new criteria…I would strongly suggest you change it to one that does…or you won’t be logging in for long.
[raises hand] I forgot which one I used and I needed it to reset my password. I use several emails for different purposes and had to cycle through each one to figure it out.
Also, had I signed up with an email I no longer use, at least I’d have known to change it here before “no longer using it”.
In the grand scheme of the disaster here, using email instead of username to log in is at the bottom of my list of issues. The top is being able to…log in.
Among other things, the preparatory messaging should have emphasized that the password requirements were coming, and that users should make their passwords conforming in advance.
That the password requirements were not announced prominently beforehand was the big problem with the rollout, especially since the password requirements apparently caused many of the problems.
But then, poor quality software that crashed on old expired auth tokens is something that should have been caught before with testing.
I’m going to guess, but having everyone login with current email addresses means they can sell your known current email addresses. I’ll bet that all those old email addresses, now being cleared out, weren’t helping sell CC address lists.
I did a cache clear on Foxfire and it let me in. Until then I couldn’t get past the error codes. Of course, I now need to re-log in to all my accounts and that is a huge pain.
My password is not compliant but it accepted it. Will it tell me to reset (and how) if needed?
Do all of these recent missteps cause anyone else to wonder if CC is truly able to keep our screennames and information confidential? Do they care? This has me worried. There is a lot of personal information put out here, bit by bit over the years. The terms don’t permit anyone to go back and delete or edit threads, however they are changing the terms of service. It would be nice if everytime THEY change the platform or the terms, users could opt to have their old posts or accounts edited or deleted. They have built their brand and their following on the backs of users time and expertise.
No answers as to the purpose of the change and how this is making the site or the experience better. Several botched updates with no testing and little communication. I have little faith in the platform or the owners to keep the confidential in CC. I am surprised that the system errors have not displayed user emails linked with screennames yet.
I was signed in when I was out of town during the log in change and I’m still signed in with my “old” password and things are working fine. I’m afraid to sign out or close the tab as I really, really don’t want to clear my computer history/cache. Have things been fixed so if/when I do have to shut down, I won’t have to clear everything?
I have to say I assume that they aren’t keeping anything confidential, despite the name. Everything we post here is google-indexed. Google your screen name and “talk.collegeconfidential.com” and see.
That said, we’d all prefer our screen names not be linked to our email (publicly) or other identifying information.
And no, I don’t trust this site to keep my private info private at all.