Upcoming changes to the way we log in

@CCadmin_Sorin I do not know why you removed the banner from the website indicating that you were experiencing problems… but things are NOT back to normal.

As of five minutes ago, I was still unable to log in using Edge until I manually cleared the cookies for the College Confidential site (instructions for Edge: go to College Confidential site and get greeted with an error message about an an invalid authorization token, press F12 to access the Developer Tools, then select the “Storage” menu, then click on “Cookies” in the list of Storage items and then click on “Delete all cookies” button to exclusively delete the cookies dropped by College Confidential).

On many sites, you login with your email. On CC, it shows my email on record in the top left corner (on the page where I can see Likes, etc.) So I knew what it was, here. It includes other nutty details, like last time logged in- so gawd, we can tell who’s up in the middle of the night.

I’m fierce about privacy, too. But once you engage with a worldwide network, able to track your visits and movements through the mall, for heaven’s sake, all you can control is details you volunteer. Or the blogs you sign up for, etc, etc.

I use ‘tagged’ email address so I know quickly where spammers get my email from and can kill that address. So far the worst offener is TXDOT (we have to give them an email address for our TX-Tag account) - they sell my address within 24 hours of changing it!

I’ll be keeping an eye out for spam using the address I tagged for CC!

College Confidential is NOT selling email addresses. We weren’t doing it before and we are not doing it now. No third party has access to your information. I just wanted to address this and assure everyone this is not happening.

The banner was not removed, it was updated to link to the first post in this discussion. I list out instructions on how to remove cookies in that post.

I could login on my phone as I’ve always used my email address. Not sure if my password has the correct digits as it’s memorized.

Any chance of getting the app fixed? That’s what I’ve almost used and I just get a weird page with an “oops” error message when I try to go to any forum page or try to sign in. It’s frustrating and sad.

I don’t post that often but read mostly daily and never saw anything about changes before all this happened.

I don’t understand why it is up to the users to figure out the workarounds to get this mishandled log-in update to work. The users work very hard on this site – some are the free help for moderation and “championing” and many help students who post here. Does CC really think the articles they post are responsible for CC’s helpful reputation?

I suppose CC will start mailing out shirts (that I wouldn’t wear) again to appease the best posters? Just as an aside, another message board I post on just sent out $20 Amazon credit codes as a thank you to many posters. That’s appreciation. What does CC do? They obviously are saving a lot on forum development, because it seems to be done very inadequately.

Just saying. CC always had our email addresses. All that changed now is my password.

Yes, it was a pain, because some were left incommunicado, not even seeing the chat.

@momofsenior1. You can clear the cache and history of “just” the CC program and not your whole phone /computer BTW. Google for your specific device.

Somewhere in this thread the Admin mentioned more “updates” to improve our experience… Ahhhhhh… I think I am good. Don’t need further helpful upgrades… ?.

Yes, Knowsstuff. Here’s the quote: “We are excited to announce some big changes coming in 2020 that we believe will provide you with greater access to information and resources to help you achieve your educational goals. To support these future enhancements, on Monday, Dec. 9, we will push an update to the way we log in on College Confidential. Instead of the username, we will now need to enter the email address associated with the account (of course, email address and the current
password).”

I don’t see how these future updates are going to improve “our” experience. It sounds like a way for CC to get more advertisers involved, advertisers that they see as providing “information and resources to achieve your educational goals.” It would be interesting to read more information, but, as usual, I expect that the big changes will be thrust upon us with no warning and with many glitches.

@CTTC. Yep. On another forum that I am on this kinda thing happened until a major revolt and social media smear happened. The owners then made a first line beta group. And a second line beta group then a larger release then finally a large scale release. At every juncture something was discovered but since “we” were now part of the process and had “enough” warning it wasn’t so painful.

This was the OnePlus forum and for actual phone products being released internationally.

So there is definitely a better way to do this. Pro Hint : pick 10 people like your moderators if they will agree and your internal people. Do the off forum upgrade and test. Every software I have ever used especially for websites etc allow you to do something similar. Expand that out to a user focus group. (I am sure many regulars would help… Pick 50 people with different devices etc).

Fix issues since there are “always” issues. Notify users by the emails they have with blast email a update /upgrade is coming.

Release a wide spread update /upgrade.

Or something like that.

@CCadmin_Sorin I’m using an ipad. The banner is most definitely gone when using this device. It was red and very visible. I noticed it was gone and also wondered if that meant all was fixed.

It’s not.

I still cannot log in from my iPhone. I sent you a screenshot of the screen I get. If you need it again, let me know.

i don’t see any banner, either. Also on an iPad.

I’m not signed it on my iPhone and I can see the banner. So it must be if one is signed in it goes away.

Those you are not seeing the announcement probably dismissed it at one point. I created a new one so that every should see it now.

UPDATE: If a user is able to use the site but has issues with one specific device/browser, the only solution is to clear the cache and remove the CC cookies. I updated my first post to include instructions on how to do that. There’s nothing we can do at our end to fix it.

If however, users cannot log in at all (on any browser/device) then please reach out as there might be an issue with the account that needs to be looked at. Thanks!

You should sack whoever your website design/update consultants are. It seems many people have been locked out at a critical time for college results. Some of them may be deferred students that only have a short time to complete RD applications. I am not seeing nearly as many comments on the Rice forum as usual after a major event. ED decisions released yesterday.

So can I get an “I survived password change 2019” badge?

Just about as helpful to ‘helping me achieve my educational goals.’

Hum. That seems likely that there IS something you could do on your end to fix it… Asking the users to clear their cookies seems quite an awkward demand to me.

PS: Thanks for putting the banner back. I don’t think I dismissed the previous one, but I see the new one.