But I see how this is going. It’s the user’s fault they aren’t seeing something or cannot sign in, etc.
I’ve never seen a site which consistently bungles every single update. And I’m on sites that have changed platforms, passwords, etc, not once but several times in the last 20 years.
@CCadmin_Sorin
It seems that clearing cache is not enough for many users. Clearing the CC history on the device seems to be doing the trick if just clearing the cache/cookies etc is not working. Going back 1 week seemed to do the trick. Some other posters had to do the same thing to be able to login.
However, the forum software should have been able to handle expired auth tokens and the like from stale cookies or whatever without crashing or giving other unintended behavior. I.e. it should have been able to figure out and just go to normal login behavior, ignoring the expired auth tokens and the like from stale cookies.
So I still have a tab logged in before this all rolled out, but when I try (in a different browser on which I’ve never logged into CC, so no issues with cache or cookies or such) to log in so that I can change my password in advance of when my login token inevitably expires, it makes me log in with my email address—no problem, I expected that—but upon logging in with my email address and existing password, I can get to my profile page, but then I click on the link to change my password (could y’all have maybe put that in a sensibler place?) and I get this error:
Weird, and here I had just logged in, and that successfully! (And if I click on the link to the forums, I’m still logged in.)
If a user is blocked from access they won’t have any idea what to do. (I couldn’t pull up a history page or google a link. It took me straight to the problem.) They likely won’t have Sorin’s or the admin email address. May not have pm friends they’ve got an email for, to see if this is happening to others.
It’s one thing to suggest clearing cache, cookies, or history as a back up. “If you have issues…” The thing we faced is that not all blocked users can intuit that. I would have liked advance instructions, when things were still running. Or on the infamous Oops! page, and with the backdoor contact address.
When it hit the fan, my tablet was logged in. Fine, I see others still are, on their other devices. The next am, I was auto logged out.
And agree, clearing cache, cookies, or history is not working for all. Did not work for me (until suddenly the email change link appeared, seemingly out of the blue.)
My guess is, as we all joined at different times, and as we use a wider range of devices than several years ago, something is different about how we’re set in the system or what tokens idenitfy us as legit.
I agree with the frustrations, but would remind this isn’t Sorin’s doing. And just imagine if this mess happened with a major institution, brokers not accessing databases or etc. Yes, planning well is a big chunk of the job.
Yup. That’s why we create error messages that only give the info necessary for the user to move on, and do not give up file path info, like this one did.
That announcement at the top of the page appears on every page (other than the homepage) and is visible to anyone (not just logged in users). It links to my post where we share instructions and also my email address. It may not be a lot, but it’s the best we can with our existing limitations. We’ll work to improve the communication so that everyone is better prepared for upcoming changes.
I could only get to the Home page and no further. If I clicked on a link, it took me to the problem page. And this was before your list of clearing steps (which I was trying anyway.)
Our email addresses are considered a business asset, so if this site is merged or sold, these email addresses have added value to the transaction. And our information is shared with other companies. Having everyone update their email information adds value to CC.
Still cannot sign in from my computer or iPhone despite deleting cookies and history multiple times. Can only post from my iPad because I haven’t logged out.
Despite multiple tries from both phone and laptop to get a reset link nothing has arrived in my inbox. I’ve gotten to the “Okay, help is on the way! We’ve sent an email to the address you provided containing steps to reset your password.” step a dozen times between the two devices but it seems only to be a cruel joke.
It seems my time here is limited, as soon this iPad will no longer be in my possession. It’s a rather sad way to say goodbye to a forum I’ve been on for almost 14 years.