Upcoming changes to the way we log in

They have been busy doing fixes globally. Glad it’s working.

So someone who joined, let’s say in the last few months before the change didn’t have any of the log in issues?

Of course someone who joined since the change wouldn’t, for obvious reasons.

We aren’t seeing the newer users who can’t log in in this thread because they are still probably just getting the error page. Likely, they’ve given up and gone to Reddit - where all the kids are. I doubt they would even try to figure out on their own the issue and how to resolve it. Plus, they don’t know the history of CC screw ups like us long time users.

I’m not having problems logging in but it’s 50-50 if the site shows me the unread message number box appropriately, if it takes me to the right place when I try to go back after reading a post, and now I have a blank screen some of the time. Super frustrating.

@momofsenior1 , which device and browser are you using? Firefox / PC here. I reported a similar blank screen problem in early August on the relaunch thread, but have not seen anyone else report the same. I thought the problem resolved when I rebooted, but the problem continues sporadically. If I close the tab and open a new one, the text returns.

I was finally able to do a password reset today. Hallelujah! Thank you @CCadmin_Sorin .

I am still not able to see forums at all on my Android via Chrome (let alone log on). Still getting that annoying “Oops! Error” message.

I’m on safari on my iPhone

I have been having a hard time signing in. I managed finally a few days ago but then couldn’t get back in later. I‘ve tried multiple times every day since and just today got back in after going through a LOT of hoops. Just passing this on because I know I’ll get locked out again. I did change the pw the time I got in several days ago. The issue is the log-in page still shows error and OOPS. This is the case on iPhone chrome and safari and also on my desktop. For what it’s worth the problem is on line 37 it says. @CCadmin_Sorin

@Sue22 same thing happened to me re reset email. I had to request it three times. So keep requesting it. However, as noted earlier, the change in pw has still not resolved my problem.

For the record, today I clicked into parents forum on Oops page and was able to sign in that way.

I was able to log in after several frustrating days of encountering the ‘Oops’ page. I wish I knew what’s the benefit about making this change. There’s no confidential information disclosed here so why the change? I use my main email for this website and it’s very long. It’s a bother that I have to enter my email every time that I’m kicked out of the site (the button ‘keep me logged in’ doesn’t work). I’ll need to change my email once all this login issue is fixed.

I have another problem - I just cannot edit my post even it’s still within the 15 minutes edit time. Do you have the same issue? Just wanted to know if it’s just me.

Dare I hope, when the dust settles on all this, that logging in with our email will mean that username (screenname) changes will be possible/allowed? That would actually be a positive result, at least for those of us who chose a name in haste.

I believe that all the other sites I use that use email as a login, allow screenname changes (and it’s rippled back through previous posts, so no confusion). So, holding out hope…

As expected I couldn’t log in again and it was hard to remember the exact previous steps. I am passing on @CCadmin_Sorin because this might offer a clue to IT.

Cannot directly log in no matter how I do it, but…

if I type “college confidential“ into google and then click on PARENTS FORUM in the list showing under the college confidential link on google, I can sign in ok.

If I try any other way, including via parents forum , I have thus far been thwarted.

I finally got back in and now my issue is, I have to log in every single time I open the app. I hope this will be fixed. Right now it won’t allow the use of the Apple password keeper to automate the log in. Also, I can’t cut and paste my email as that causes an error message that I am using an invalid password or email. The ‘Remember Me’ box does nothing. It is really a pain to have to log in on a small screen/keypad. CC isn’t something I care about locking down like financial or medical info. I’d be happy if I could log in just once in a blue moon.

@csfmap. What browser are you using? Then… Try a different one for now to see if that fixes the problem for now.

I’m using Safari, but I’ll try Chrome. Thanks.

^^ Actually, I’m using the app. I use Safari on my laptop, but I just use the app on my phone and iPad.

I was able to change my password and log in on both my laptop and phone but I can NOT use CC on the phone because I keep getting a bizarre pop up ad that takes over the entire screen and I can’t dismiss it! It say something like congratulations google user and then a spinning prize wheel.

Is this happening to other people? CC is the only site this happens on for me. .Can someone Please tell me how to get rid of it?

https://www.fixyourbrowser.com/removal-instructions/spin-the-lucky-wheel-popup/

This has been an issue for years. Try https://www.malwarebytes.com/

I use this on my computers works well on phones. Get the free version.

If it doesn’t work without getting to technical use an ad blocker or a browser like Brave that blocks add automatically.

Yes, we’re getting it. Look at History, delete suspicious links. You can clear cache. Sometimes, the spam will recur within minutes.

I seem ok on my cell now. But this spam still affects the tablet.

And we can’t ignore that, after a quiet year (?,) it re-surged with this present update.

Re: popups
Btw, @Knowsstuff, malwarebytes found no issues for me. And to uninstall adware, you need an idea what the program names are. I don’t.

Fwiw, I just went back to post 210, where Sorin gives steps to clear. Wondering if I only did that on my phone before. Let’s see if it helps.

Oh, Nevermind. Still get the popups.
Sorry for the detour.