Upcoming changes to the way we log in

So on laptop I get error message I’d try to use Chrome. With Edge I get the sign in page. Was excited. Put in info and get message back that no account exists for that email address. Are you kidding! It’s the only one I’ve used with CC. Ideas?

At one point I in the process I went through password change using browser on phone and got in but not sure how so CC sent the password change link through that email and it worked there. Still can’t get in on iPad thru app. If something happens and I lose my open browser tab on phone I suspect I won’t be able to get back in on my phone either.

IN case this helps the IT dept, I can now read the forums on the app (phone) using Chrome, but cannot log in.

My old password works to get me logged in, even though it’s not compliant with the new password rules. But I do have to log in every day when I access the site on my PC, even though I click the Remember Me button.

I’m afraid to reset my password (if it ain’t broke) since I had so much trouble getting into the site last week before I cleared cookies and cache.

Is the non-compliant password the reason I can’t stay logged on? Why is the non-compliant password working for me?

Still getting the

error when I try to change my password (even though I’m rather clearly logged in).

Is the object of all this to kill the forums? Because it would save the rest of us a bit of stress if we just knew up front that that’s what it is.

@dfbdfb, I’ve created an internal ticket so we look into the issue. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for reporting!

Following up: My “no user” error has been fixed. Don’t know if this was a general solution for anyone else hitting it or specific to my account, but I can log in with the new system now.

Any idea how to get the app to work on my iPhone? It just goes to the oops message.

I did not create a new username, bu now that y’all hav got me back online and able to red all my favorite threads, I’m suddenly posting as some random newbie name that I would have never created. Grrrrrr

It’s not random; it’s a username you created in 2011. Since usernames are attached to a specific email address, you need to log in with your other email address.

Maybe back then her kid set up an account using that email address?

One of my s’s pranked me many moons ago by setting up an account and having a conversation with me on cc as this other person. Then came to the dinner table and started quoting lines form the conversation! Ir was pretty funny!

I have a bookmarked thread that I’m not getting notifications for. When I do get notifications, it seems like there is a long delay between the post showing up and the notification. Frustrating.

Accessing the site from my phone is painfully slow now and there is a big lag in going back to the posts, updating if there are new posts, and getting back to where I was. Not a problem on the laptop though.

@skieurope, is right. It looks like you created an account on that email address in 2011. We are working now to release that email address so we can associate it with your @marcie123 account.

Y’know, a couple questions upthread (that I, for one, would really like to know the answers to) have still been hanging unresponded to for 17 pages—what exactly the “big changes coming in 2020 that [the CC administrators] believe will provide [the CC forum users] with greater access to information and resources to help [said users] achieve [their] educational goals” are, and particularly how the login changes are supposed to support them.

@dfbdfb - I have exactly the same question.

Just throwing it out I finally got back in. My log-ins are not stable and I constantly get the oops page several times a day on Apple laptop, iPhone using both safari and chrome. My convoluted fix one day will never continue. Sometimes I get a blank page. I hope this gets fixed soon, but if you see I’m not moderating my forum that’s the reason- although hardly anyone is posting.

More likely, she has multiple email addresses (like we all do) and forgot which one she used for the primary account.

Wish I"d seen this post earlier as it explains why I couldn’t log in earlier this month. I tried resetting the password (something I’ve done before on other websites) but I had no success. So I finally just gave up and created a new account. Super frustrating.

@bookreader1 , you can email @CCadmin_Sorin directly and they can try to help you. admin@collegeconfidential.com

So… out of the blue the old app on my phone started working today. It had worked on my iPad but not my phone. Kept getting the “oops, an error occurred” message. Today I tried it and it worked. Weird.

Perhaps it’s a quirk to soon be fixed but I wasn’t able to read any messages on CC tonight without being logged in first…this is hopefully not a planned step because discouraging lurkers would be another traffic blow to the site.