Spent all of middle and high school at an alternative residential school part of the Krishnamurthi Foundation. Focus on non-competitive learning, small size, accessible teachers (basically the LAC version of high schools).
Male, Indian (Marathi)
I took a gap year. That is, I completed HS in March 2023, applying to college for Fall 2024.
Intended Major(s)
Computer Science
Cognitive Science
Philosophy
Neuroscience
Psychology
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
HS Scores: 93%, 96%, 86%, 97% in 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade respectively.
National CISCE Board
No equivalent to US-style GPA, just percentage aggregates
Class Rank: 1/44, but my school doesn’t report rank in transcript.
ACT: 2 attempts, 34 and 33 respectively with 11/12 in writing (superscore: 35)
Coursework
(Extra) Electives in 9th and 10th grade: Economics, Marathi (Language)
Electives in 11th and 12th grade: Physics, Chemistry, Math, Computer Science, English (generally considered one of the most rigorous combinations offered at my school)
APs (school doesn’t offer any. I took all independently): Calc BC (5), Comp Sci A (5), Physics C E&M (5), Biology (5), Psychology (5), World History and Stats (will take after applications)
Awards
Top 1% of all Indian 12th-grade ISC national exam givers; INSPIRE scholarship opportunity recipient
AP Scholar with Distinction
Recipient of CREST Gold award for independent STEM research on noise reduction algorithms
Recipient of the School Medal for Waterloo University’s Euclid Mathematics Contest
Extracurriculars
Founder of ‘Save a Life Initiative’; Organized 52 CPR training workshops in 20 villages, reaching 5500+ students & adults; Worked with local govt. officials; Led student participation
Prototype Developer and Lead for IAP CPR App
Designed & coded the app to provide CPR training; funded by and recognized as Indian Academy of Pediatric’s (national medical NGO) national training module for laypersons & medics; 3K+ downloads in 2 months
Independently authored STEM research On comparison of spectral subtraction noise reduction algorithms; Published to Journal of Emerging Investigators; Presented at Sigma Xi International Conference; Received the British CREST Gold Award
Conducted research for Indian Freedom Foundation (IFF) through Young Researchers for Social Impact Program (YRSI)
Surveyed 100+ respondents; shared insights & policy suggestions with IFF; won YRSI’s “Best Paper of the Year”
Co-founder and Member of school’s Philosophy Club
Explored inquiry through dialogue; Eastern vs Western philosophies, moral relativism, etc; 20 members; 15+ meetings; posted 10+ pieces on Inquisit, a blog I built for interdisciplinary exploration.
Intern under academician and author Dr. Jaijit Bhattacharya
Researched pre-colonial Indian linguistic advances for an academic book acknowledging it’s impact on global science & western knowledge
Training in Sitar, Indian classical instrument, as well as guitar
Under Girish Kamble’s training, performed 3 ragas on the Sitar; 10+ guitar solos & 25+ gigs as part of the school band
Long Distance Running
Ran 5 marathon events; ranked top 3 in school cross country x3; selected for world record Pangong Frozen Lake Marathon in Feb 2024
High-Altitude Trekking
Completed 4 expeditions, surpassing an altitude of 18000 ft; the Himalayas have been my classroom for awe, resilience & humility, fostering my poise.
Essays/LORs/Other
Common App Essay: I narrate one of my Sunday runs, exploring connection with the world outside, and internal dialogues of moral dilemmas, and the pursuit of self-improvement. Overarching metaphor of life as a long run. I feel quite confident in the quality of writing and the personal-ness (if you will) of the essay, having gained feedback from a variety of mentors.
I’m pretty confident in my LORs as I’ll be getting them from some of the most experienced and talented teachers I know. Being in a school like mine has also helped me garner strong personal connections with them.
Cost Constraints / Budget
This is the big catch that makes me anxious about college acceptance.
My budget is 45,000-50,000 USD per year on average MAX.
I will be applying for aid (with CSS) to most of my LACs (doesn’t matter ofc for the need-blind ones)
Schools
Note: This is a tentative list and yes, I do plan to REMOVE A LOT of these colleges but here’s the broad list
Safety and Likely
Rutgers (EA)
UMass (EA)
UBuffalo (EA)
Purdue (EA) (can it belong in this category?)
Reach(Sidenote: I would appreciate any advice on narrowing this list) Amherst (ED)
Bowdoin (potential ED2)
Vassar (second potential ED2)
Wesleyan
Pomona
Swarthmore
Carleton
Dartmouth
Cornell
Colgate
Skidmore
Specifically, I want input on my chances at the top LACs in my list, given that I will need financial aid. The average financial aid recipient at these colleges gets around 50,000 USD (I’m generalizing Vassar’s numbers). That amount is more than what I would need (around 35-40K) based on my demonstrated need. How does this affect my chances?
If you are applying for CS, Purdue becomes a reach. And it’s often not possible to switch into CS from another major at Purdue if you weren’t accepted initially. Please apply though as they will be in budget and you should be a competitive applicant.
Umass is also not a safety.
Georgia Tech is also mis-categorized and should be considered a reach.
IMO, you can’t generalize financial aid. Run the net price calculators on some of the private schools on your list with your parents. It won’t be totally accurate because you are an international student, but will give you a better estimate than just looking at what the average aid recipient is awarded.
Since you are indicating that you are hoping to ED to small LACs, you may want to rethink your safety schools since all are large publics. Others here will be able to give you suggestions!
GT does not provide FA to anybody but local students (GA residents.) Your chances to be accepted are slim, and get scholarship are slimmer. Do you know that both GT and UGA are required by law to take mostly GA residents?
You have an interesting and impressive resume. That said, as an international student from an over-represented country who requires some financial aid, I would categorize any US college as a reach.
I also recommend you look in-depth at the international student financial aid policy of each school on your list if you haven’t done so already. Note that a portion of your family budget will need to be used for items such as transportation, health insurance, books, and other items.
I wish you luck but also recommend that you work to secure an acceptance in your home country as a true safety.
Note that for Wesleyan, international students requesting FA have an admit rate in the single digits. I’m not saying this to discourage you, just to prepare you. I think you would be a good fit for the school.
You’re a superb candidate.
If you like LACs, replace Rutgers with TCNJ and UBuff with SUNY Geneseo (and for CS specifically =Marist. )
UMass is a safety for philosophy but a high match to reach for CS. If you like New England, I’d replace your choices with Connecticut College, Wheaton MA, etc. I’d add st Olaf and Grinnell in the Midwest + Denison, F&M, Lafayette?
Thank you, I’ll make the necessary changes in the college categories.
And yes, I would love to consider some more LAC-like colleges for my Likely list, but as an international student who can’t visit these schools, it’s a little difficult to judge things at smaller less-known LACs. Any help in this regard is also appreciated!
Make sure to include in the cost everything! In schools like GT you maybe over budget. Often international fees are a bit higher. You will also need health insurance, books and some things that many students bring from home.
Very impressive resume and healthy budget. If I were you, I would target solid state schools that fall within your budget. Why liberal arts schools in particular? I think you will be very competitive at UNC-CH and NCSU. Both have excellent CS programs and will require no aid.
You may have seen this article by US News that lists the 15 US colleges and universities that provide the most aid to Internationals. Among those providing great aid that are not on your current list are LAC’s Haverford and Washington and Lee.
You’ve done some amazing stuff! Wishing you all the best in your applications.
Many of the schools on your list offer strictly need-based financial aid. Speaking specifically to Vassar, the average financial aid package really doesn’t matter or reflect what you’d get.
Most important thing right now is to do all of the net price calculators to figure out which schools will offer you any financial aid. If your family feels like you can pay USD $50,000 a year, there’s a decent chance that a school like Vassar will think you can pay all USD $85,000 a year.
Be careful with Early Decision, especially at Amherst/Bowdoin/Vassar, who offer need-based aid. Since it’s binding, there’s a chance you would be accepted but not offered enough financial aid, then have to withdraw applications from your other matches and safeties.
Again, doesn’t matter how excellent you are, if Amherst or Vassar think your family can pay full price, then that’s what your financial aid will be.
Every school has a net price calculator that can estimate how much you would have to pay on their financial aid website. Please fill these our with your parents to see what schools would offer you.
Once you figure out if need-based aid will offer you anything, we’ll be able to better advise, as we’ll know if you need to be looking for schools that also offer merit aid.